Thursday, April 21, 2011

More of Grey Gardens...

Ever since I posted the story of Grey Gardens(last Sunday) I´ve found myself thinking about the 2 Edies and their life story. It have touched me so deep and I feel hungry to find out more about this. I even dream about them at night!



I felt especially curious to find out more about Little Edie, whom I felt was truly a victim of this whole situation.
I feel so fascinated by this down below photo of Edie as a young and beautiful(!) woman. She is so well dressed and I have such problems getting this whole picture toghether. My research on her background story actually made me even more confused!
Here´s what I found out about Little Edie via the blog 'Maya and Ruhi'.



This is Edie Bouvier Beale. Born in 1917, straight into the echelons of American high society, to privileged parents Phelan Beale, a respected lawyer, and Edie Ewing Bouvier Beale a gorgeous socialite from the aristocratic Bouvier clan.

Little Edie started a flourishing modelling career at 17, while Big Edie pursued her break into a singing career.



The mother and daughter pair were extremely close, and were a staple of the New York social scene. Wherever they went, they were received as VVIPS, and were highly respected for their social graces, fashionable good tastes, and pure fabulous-ness.
Well, who would have thought!?



Little Edie went on to appear in the pages of Vogue, and was to move away to pursue a singing and dancing career in New York City, when she was discouraged by her mother. Big Edie just could not imagine life without her daughter. And with that, they slowly ebbed away from the limelight...



Little Edie truly had a successfull life in the fashion and entertainment industry in front of her. This was also something she felt very passionate about and she had it all going in the right direction. Life must have made an enourmous u-turn on her though...


The years went by and noone heard about Little Edie and her mother until they suddenly several years later reappeared, headlining the National Enquirer and New York Times no less. Not as the celebutantes as they were remembered, but as hermetic recuses living in a world of their own, in their dilapidated 28-room mansion called Grey Gardens...



The gardens now were grossly overgrown, and the house was a shadow of its former self, completely run-down, with no running water, broken floorboards, and even a small tree growing into the walls of one of the rooms.



Last seen in public Edie was a true beauty looking like this. Now several years later this down below news paper photo shows a much older Edie, still very careful of her looks and appearance though. In the glimpses I´ve seen on youtube of the documentary of Green Gardens from 1975 I feel her strong passion for fashion, dancing and singing. It´s quite obvious she never gave up dreaming!



A glimpse from the 1975 Documentary...



I will end this post with a photo of Little Edie standing on the porch of Grey Gardens. Probably taken years before the place began to slowly demolish.
Oh, I absolutely love this photo, it shows that this girl belonged in a whole different world than the one she ended up living! It´s the sadest thing!



Today little Edie is seen as a true style icon and her personal style have made a huge impact on many people working in this area. Myself know nothing about fashion, but can totally understand the mark this woman left behind. I feel inspired and fascinated by her in so many ways!!!




Ps.
For those of you who wonders I have not lately done any visits out there in Blogland. Please do not think that I have forgotten about you, cause I most certainly have not!
I have had a lot of work in my little buisness of my own, more than ever actually(which is great but sometimes also tough!) and some things in my personal life has been a bit rocky as well...






I will do my best to catch up with all of you in time!




0 comments:

Post a Comment